Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Another Year



Hello there, Birthday Cheesecake. You are looking mighty fine.

We had a little birthday celebration for me with Cory's parents this weekend. Luna's pizza (delicious!) and some Tasty Pastry cheesecake. It did not disappoint.

Today is my real birthday, and as most birthdays do, it seems a lot like any other day to everyone around me. But I know it's special.

Another year gone! 23 years now, for those who are counting.

I feel like not a whole lot has changed, but when you look closely, a whole lot of things are different. Sneaky, subtle, change.

I made it through my first year of real, health-insuranced, full-time, contributing-member-of -society work. I'm starting to miss the grind of research papers and weekly assigned readings. Maybe I should go back??

We're one year closer to Cory completing his undergraduate work, and the talk of a Masters degree for him creeps into our conversations every now and then. It is both terrifying and exciting to me.

My faithful red Chrysler died this year. May you rest in peace. I don't know what to do with it, so it sits in the parking lot month after month, annoying the neighbors. I should really do something about that.

We didn't move for once, and that has been so nice. I've moved every year since leaving my parents house 5 years ago.

Tonight Cory is going to take me somewhere to eat. One of my nearest and dearest friends, Lara, may come along for the ride. If so, we're in for a treat.

My mom once told Lara, "You know, you don't HAVE to laugh at ALL of her jokes, Lara." Lara replied, "I know, but they're all SO funny." Oh, she gets me. I love her.

If I'm feeling truly wild, I might buy a celebratory throw pillow. I know--you can't stop this crazy train!

In a few days the new dining chairs could arrive, and that could be a BIG deal.

I've never purchased 100% legitimate furniture before people. I'm really hoping those chairs come in. They are orange-y and tufted and don't need any TLC or DIY magic. In a word, they will be wonderful.

Happy birthday to me!


6 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Happy birthdayyyyyyy!!!!!!

I love birthdays but they definitely feel different when you are an adult, and when it falls on a weekday. Hope you have a fun day!!! 23!! You're still a baby! :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Meagan! It was a good day--but definitely had some weekday weirdness to it :)

Tanya said...

Birthdays are the best! I really hope those chairs come in because they are AWESOME!! And that choco cake was delish. Even with the fat milk. haha

Also, I'm glad you are certain of your age. And that your mom (mostly) didn't forget! ha

Kourtney said...

Mmmmm, reading your blog always makes me feel like we are closer than we are. Cheers to your birthday, neighbor! Only a hop (LA), skip (MS) and a jump (AL) away from you!

Kourtney said...

Geez, I make it sound like we are not close sisters.....I meant physcially close, as in proximity, heaven knows our brains are connected on a wickedly delicious wavelength :)

Becca said...

Happy birthday to you, indeed. I actually read all but the last two paragraphs of this post ON your birthday, though I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped at that point.

"You can't stop this crazy train" made me snort.

I love you, Miss Lindy.