Wednesday, November 14, 2012
I think this wee baby is a girl baby. Cory thinks we're having a boy (well, he calls it a "man-child").
We went ahead and scheduled an appointment at a 2D/3D ultrasound place for this Friday, and they say they can determine the gender for us then. This place (the PreNatal Experience) lets you invite up to 6 guests for your ultrasound, so Cory's family is going to come along and we'll all find out together.
I'm mostly just excited to see that there is really a little baby in there. And to see his parent's and sister's reactions to having a live streaming video of this baby projected onto a wall. I'm at 15 weeks and it still seems so surreal to me.
(P.S. I know a lot of people think the Prenatal Experience is a waste of time and money. I pretty much agree with them. I never thought I'd want to do it before. We'd find out in 3 weeks at the doctor, and honestly I could wait that long. But, the idea of bringing Cory's family with us, and finding out together, is so, so exciting. So we decided it was worth it. And we get the bonus of saying it's Cory's mom's birthday present. now that we're doing it, I'm really looking forward to it!)
Anyway, I had some fun looking up old wives tales on baby gender determination. What a bunch of marlarky. But, 4 out of 7 myths say this baby is a lady. So maybe there is something to it...
Here's how it's staking up so far, so you can submit your educated guess. We'll find out who was right on Friday :)
1. If you're carrying high, break out the pink. If your bump is low, it's a boy.
At the last doctor appointment (last Friday) they said it was really low. So, I guess that means its a boy. But, I don't really have a visible bump yet. So, we'll see what happens.
2. Heart rate: 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.
Last time we checked it was 157 beats per minute. So, its a girl. Obvi.
3. The Chinese Calendar.
I was 22 in August, so it must be a boy.
4. "Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy."
Well. Like I said, I was 22 in August 2012--so, the Mayans say its a girl.
5. "If you're breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother's beauty."
All signs point to girl on this one.
6. "Pop off your wedding ring -- if you still can! -- and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy's in your future. If it goes back and forth, you've got a girl."
It circled. So, boy.
7. "Sick as a dog during the first trimester -- or still? Signs indicate you're having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy."
I don't know how sick qualifies for "sick as a dog" but Cory nicknamed me "Old Faithful" so, that's got to count for something. I guess that means its a girl.
So, what do you think it'll be? We'll find out who was right this Friday!