Monday, January 26, 2015

Christmas Day 2014

We met up with my side of the family on Christmas Day. Everyone flew or drove in from out of town, and it was nuts. We had all these delusional plans of eating breakfast together, then re-enacting the nativity with the kids (with 7 kids under 7 years old), and then Santa would stop by and be jolly and hand out presents, and then we'd all hug or something. We're so, so dumb. At least we're pretty.

Jim Gaffigan does this bit about his answer when someone asks him what its like having a bunch of kids. "Imagine you're drowning. And then someone hands you a baby." That pretty much sums it up. We chased the two years olds up and down the stairs while the older kids got dressed up and tried to listen to the nativity story. Nate took off his shirt. Amelia ran in circles. Jefferson, our stalwart "Joseph" climbed into the manger while a half naked Nate stole the sheep. The newborns looked on, unimpressed. 

Eventually Santa did show up and passed out presents while we tried to make everyone wait to open gifts one at a time (per tradition) but, and I ask this in all seriousness, how do you catch a wave upon the sand? It was crazy, and ridiculous, and I laughed so, so much while I sorted through these pictures. I think my favorite is when Grandma attempted to make Nate into a shepherd. I will never not laugh at that sulky little face and shoulder hunch. 

And so began our week of fun together. It was out of control, and overwhelming, and so, so great. I miss it already.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like y'all had two amazing Christmas celebrations! :) And this post totally makes me laugh cause I can relate! Haha, isn't family fabulous? Also, love Amelia in her princess dress! What a magical age. :)

Tanya said...

I'm so glad you got pictures of Nate in that Santa outfit! And he was quite unruly. Haha